31 Mar 2021
Let's face it...last Easter was terrible. The islands were shut down, the beach accesses were closed (they even fenced the Causeway islands), and it was spooky quiet. The boss often said, “You could shoot a cannon down Periwinkle Way and not hit anything.” Almost everything about Easter was virtual.
This year, however, Sanibel and Captiva are open at full capacity (with a mask mandate) and several events are open to the public (some of them limited). Unfortunately, it looks like the annual Sunrise Service on the Sanibel Causeway has been postponed again. Some alternatives include:
- Sanibel Congregational United Church of Christ, on Periwinkle Way near Palm Ridge Road from 7:45 am to Noon
- Saint Isabel Catholic Church on Sanibel-Captiva Road has several masses for Easter Sunday, but you need to register to attend in person. Otherwise, you can livestream the service through their link.
- Captiva Chapel By the Sea on Chapin Lane will have an outdoor service at 11 am, which you can attend in person or online.
- Saint Michael and All Angels Episcopal Church will have their service entirely online at 10:30am
Many restaurants will be open as usual, and the following will have special Easter meals prepared:
- Sundial Beach Resort will have their annual Easter Buffet from 10am to 3:15pm, $59 adults, $20 kids 4 – 12, and under 3 eats free.
- South Seas Resort will have their Easter Brunch from 9am to 1pm, $69 adults, $35 kids 5 – 12, no charge under 5 (reservations strongly recommended)
- The Old Captiva House at the Tween Waters Resort will have an all-day Easter Buffet from Noon to 8pm. Please call or make an Open Table reservation through the link.
- Casa Ybel Resort will hold their Easter Brunch from 11am to 8pm, $56 adults, with a Children’s Menu available ($19.95) for those 10 and under. A 20% Gratuity is automatically charged.
If you don’t feel like going out OR doing all the cooking yourself, Bailey’s General Store is offering fully-prepared meals as you like it for delivery or pick-up.
Finally, Adventures in Paradise is offering a special Easter Cruise beginning at 10am. Forget Easter Bunnies…catch a glimpse of some Easter Dolphins, maybe even an Easter Manatee!
And remember to behave this Easter. Wear masks when appropriate and maintain social distance whenever possible.
Happy Easter…and Book Direct and Save