22 Jun 2018
Speaking of Summer Time Pleasures and Treasures! If you read our last blog you know that Sanibel does not turn into a Ghost town during this season.
Lots of things to be done here on Island. You can choose to sit by the pool, ride a bike, put your toes in the warm Gulf waters or find a Sanibel adventure.
We have found a couple of things that you may want to add to your list!
J.N. Ding Darling: Take a nature walk, bike or tour. Several given each week, free of charge.
- Family Beach Walk – Fridays at 9 a.m.
- Indigo Trail Walk – Thursdays at 10 a.m.
- Reading in the Refuge – Wednesday at 10 a.m.
- Wildlife Wonders – Saturdays at 11 a.m.
Visit daily the free Visitor & Education center
Open 7 days a week from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Explore exhibits
- Barrow a pair of binoculars form the front desk before 1 p.m. at no charge
- Shop the Refuge Nature Store (All proceeds support the refuge)
Bailey-Matthews, National Shell Museum: The Bailey-Matthews National Shell Museum offers guided beach walks throughout the entire year! In addition to daily walks at the Island Inn, they offer summer monthly guided excursions at Bunche Beach with world-renowned Marine Biologist Dr. José H. Leal. (Advance booking is required)
- All beach walk participants receive a coupon for half-off Shell Museum admission. Or you can buy a beach walk at half price at the Museum front desk upon admission.
Sanibel 4th of July Holiday Weekend Activities:
- 7 a.m. – 9 a.m. – Free Pancake Breakfast at the Sanibel Community Church
- 9:30 a.m. – Independence Day Parade “Preserving the Red, White, and Blue” - Parade Route begins at Tarpon Bay Road on Periwinkle Way to Casa Ybel Road.
- 10:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. – July 4th Celebration at Jerry’s (After Parade) at Jerry’s Shopping Center - Water slide, food, & refreshments.
- 12 p.m. San-Cap Optimist Club’s 38th Annual Road Rally Timbers Restaurant - start times are scattered
- 9:00 p.m. – Fireworks Display (Rain or Shine) - The City of Sanibel is sponsoring the fireworks display this year. Fireworks will be launched from the north end of Bailey Road. Best viewing of the fireworks display is from the Sanibel Causeway Islands and the bayside of Sanibel
- Fireworks Cruise – Adventures In Paradise presents the Sanibel Fireworks Cruise! Enjoy the Sanibel Island fireworks from the water on our Fireworks Cruise! Complimentary soft drinks, bottle water and snacks! Feel free to B.Y.O.B! Listening to tropical music, we will cruise the tranquil waters of San Carlos Bay, by “Bird Island”. Watch the Sunset and then catch a great view of the Sanibel Fireworks!
There will also be plenty of Sidewalk sales all over the Island. From Sanibel Sea School (455 Periwinkle Way) to The Olde Sanibel Shoppes (630 Tarpon Bay Road)!